Before my Chicago readers and dear friends kill me for this post, this summer will mark my eighth anniversary of leaving the Windy City. I am suffering from melancholy as I am always missing home. We have lived in Tokyo, Singapore, New York City and it’s pretty safe to say that we are making New Jersey our permanent home.
So I take it in stride and although I STILL miss my family and friends in Chicago, I like to stay positive and think about the benefits of living in a different place. I made a list over two years ago about my love for NYC. Here is my list for why I now enjoy New Jersey.
1. The Jersey Shore (not the reality tv show). There are literally hundreds of beaches in New Jersey. I love the fact that we can be looking out into the Atlantic in less than an hour.
2. The proximity to New York City. Our best friends live in Tribeca and Brooklyn. We can be anywhere in the city for top restaurants, museums and Jose’s office in 30-60 minutes.
3. The proximity to Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C…we have made a few short road trips and will definitely do more in the future.
4. My backyard. I will never take outdoor space for granted again. EVER.
5. People like to visit and know they don’t have to stay in a hotel. Our doors are always open and we appreciate that our dearest friends and family have traveled to see us.
6. People are so nice! We have the best neighbors and have met amazing people just through Diego’s school. When you don’t have family around, you really make an effort to develop new friendships and lasting relationships.
7. Driving again. Jose and I didn’t need a car for over five years! Even though it was liberating, eco-friendly, and it saved us money…there isn’t anything like getting in your own car and just going.
8. The diversity. I’m sure it has a lot to do with being so close to major cities, but the diversity in our neighborhood really surprised us. We have Dominican, Jewish, Indian, Argentine, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino and Mexican friends and neighbors!
9. My kids are really happy. Diego loves his school, friends and after school activities. New Jersey is super kid friendly and we really, really love that!
10) We are only less than a two hour flight away from Chicago.
Have you ever moved away from family? Do you like being in different place? Would love to hear!