It’s that time of year again! It’s back-to-school for everyone but a lot of attention is paid to tiny children and their first academic days. We can’t forget that some of the oldest of the bunch are going far away to a university for the first time and they will have some normal anxiety too.
Our niece, Cindy, just graduated from Kansas State but her little sister is off to St. Louis to start her first year! As an expert college boarder, Cindy helped me compile this list of ideas for the college bound person in your life. Some of these tips are great for kids staying close to home too because all college kids can use a little help…
1) Gift Cards: Amazon for books, Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, Chipotle (or other favorites), and gasoline cards for their cars!
2) Cleaning supplies: Clorox wipes, detergent, air fragrance…
3) Dorm decor: Throw pillows, candles, picture frames (with a great pic of course!).
4) Favorite homemade baked goods.
5) A good water bottle (Camelback is great!) and a nice travel mug too.
6) Medical kit.
7) College gear: Tshirts, sweatshirts, baseball cap…
8) Good ol’ $$$$! Because what college kid doesn’t need a little extra cash? 😉
I know that some like to give family and friends an envelope with a monetary surprise. Others like to make up baskets and care packages. Whatever you decide, it is never too late. Nine months away can get anyone homesick. I like to send a surprise at any time of the year. I even sent Cindy a stack of magazines once…just because!
Can you think of anything else we might have missed? Please share!